Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Sister

Kelsie & Aunt Katie
Today is my sister's 20th birthday! Cinco de Mayo...so fitting for her! Can I just say how special she is to me?! When I was probably around 10 or so years old (and my brother's were driving me crazy!) I wanted a sister soooooooooo bad! So, one night I prayed for a sister...and many subsequent nights after. :0) I begged my parents. They told me no. I gave up hope. Then...magically when I was 16, Scott 14 and Matt 12 years of age, she came. A precious little gift from Heaven. There never was a child so loved or so beautiful. We fought over her, woke her up late at night to hold her and argued over who got to change and bathe her! In 1999, (I think) my parents and sister moved to Florida. I missed my sister soooooo much. But now...she works two minutes from my house cutting hair and I see her all the time! I love it! She is so great, my kid's love their Aunt Katie and are constantly asking when she's coming over. Katie is a total SPAZZ and so much fun to be around. Even though we really weren't raised together, we still have so much in common. So Katie... on your birthday I hope you have a GREAT day! Come on over for a Mexican Fiesta and we'll celebrate you...MY sister! We are blessed to have you in our lives. I love you.

***A couple more things...I am now lucky enough to have two great sister-in-laws Kati & Kami...I love them too and consider them just like sisters! I guess putting up with my brothers was worth it after all! ;) And... it was not a coincidence my sister was born on our Grandma Alger's birthday. She passed away a few years earlier and they now share the name Kathleen. :).

Post Edit: I've taken a little flack from Red's family because I also have another wonderful sister-in-law named Leslie! I did not forget about her or leave her out! :) In this post I was referencing my side of the family and how my brothers drove me a little CRAZY (I was no angel!) growing up, but it was all worth it...as I now have 2 sister-in-laws because of them!! As I continue blogging ...I'm sure I'll have a chance to mention all of the special people in my life! It's going to be fun! :)

5 comments:

Kami said...

There's nothing like a sister! Thanks for being one of mine!! Love ya

Aubs said...

Little Katie has always been one of my favorite people. She has the ability to make everyone laugh histerically, like when we were in Steamboat Springs and she slid down a mud soaked hill and got her brand new white board shorts covered in dirt! We've had so many good times together. It makes me sad that we don't see each other as much anymore but Katie is still very special to me. Happy Birthday Katie!

allie said...

Kim!! Hi... It's me Allie... I talked to Red last week and he turned me on to your fab blog. I've enjoyed reading it. The kids are so beautiful and SO BIG... I too blog, now that I have a bit more time on my hands... you can check it out of you want...
www.alliesrandomlife.blogspot.com.
Also, Jesse has a Caring Bridge site for his recent illness..
www.caringbridge.com/visit/jessefontenot
It's great to reconnect after all these years.. I look forward to hearing more about your family..

allie

KATE said...

Awwww... that was a sweet post that got me a little misty! I'm feeling a little verklempt... talk amongst yourselves...
We love Katie too! Love you too and I'm glad we're sisters!

Lynette said...

Okay Kimmy, I forgot to tell you we have a blog too. It's utahgearys.blogspot.com. Also, if my memory serves me right (which it doesn't always), I think I remember when your sister was born. Was it inauguration day our junior year? For some reason this sticks out in my tiny mind. If that's the case, I have known you for more than 20 years. Wow, I guess we're not spring chickens anymore! Take care girl.